the DL/1 Call Generator
This utility for editing DL/I and IMS databases under CICS allows programmers and other IT personnel to get, insert, replace and delete any segments in a DL/I or IMS database using CICS. The need to build test data quickly and easily or to analyze the results other programs have produced are only a few of the reasons for installing TDLI. Functions not readily available via IMS or DL/I tools make TDLI a must for projects. Use it also as a learning tool for new programmers.
- All DL/1 calls can be performed, including extended command codes.
- Displayed data is always in hexadecimal and character format.
- Elapse-time measurements made for each call.
- Data can be scanned for; even with non-key field criteria. Through limiting scan times down to seconds, terminals are not blocked doing this. A typical use here is for finding data not matching its field's characteristic. (E.g. packed decimal = X'404040..').
- System functions such as starting and stopping databases is easier to perform.
- All CICS DL/I buffer usage is carefully observed. Subpool-, DMB- VSAM- and OSAM buffer-usage is traced within CICS.
By implementing the standard user-exit, all TDLI functions can be validated or even kept on protocol. Important when using TDLI in a production environment and the user access security has to be maintained.